Amanda-Users

Re: amcheck uses wrong changer configuration

2003-04-29 16:11:48
Subject: Re: amcheck uses wrong changer configuration
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: <diesing AT snowflake DOT de>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:08:37 -0400
On Tue April 29 2003 15:05, diesing AT snowflake DOT de wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to set up amanda for quite a while now and one thing I
> was always wondering about is why amanda complains about my
> cleaning tape altough I identified it in my changer-file. When I
> took a look in the .debug file of the chg-zd-mtx script I saw the
> following:
>
>Config info:
>firstslot = "1"
>lastslot = "6"
>cleanslot = "-1"
>cleancycle = "120"
>offline_before_unload = "0"
>unloadpause = "5"
>autoclean = "0"
>autocleancount = "99"
>havereader = "0"
>driveslot = "0"
>poll_drive_ready = "10"
>max_drive_wait = "120"
>
>I opposition to this, my changer file which I point to in my
> amanda.conf states:
>
>firstslot=1  #### First storage slot (element) -- required
>lastslot=6   #### Last storage slot> (element) -- required
>cleanslot=6  #### Slot with> cleaner tape -- default is "-1"
>autoclean=0  #### Set to '1' or greater to enable
>autocleancount=20 #### Number of access before a clean.
>havereader=0 #### If you have a barcode reader, set to 1.
>offline_before_unload=1 #### Does your robot require an
>driveslot=0  #### Drive slot number.  Defaults to the
>poll_drive_ready=3 #### Time (seconds) between tests to see if
>max_drive_wait=240 #### Maximum time (seconds) to wait for the

This last one looks to be more 'sane', but lastslot s/b =5 so it
doesn't run into the cleaner tape looking for the next valid tape
to use.

>Now I'm wondering how to find out which changer-file to script
> uses and where I have to define the right path. Obviously, my
> settings in amanda.conf are being ignored :(

This sounds like you have installed amanda after the os install put
in the rpms.  do an "rpm -e `rpm -qa |grep amanda`", then reinstall
your build.

>One more question: amcheck tells me "ERROR: [DUMP program not
> available]". What exactly does that mean? I have dump in
> /usr/sbin/

It usually means that dump could not be found when amanda was
configured.  And dump, being limited to doing whole file systems
that today may well 10x the size of a tape, has brought with it the
general recommendation to use tar instead since tar can be told to
do subdirs, which will fit on one tape.  One of amanda's limits is
that it cannot span a filesystem across more than one tape.  Your
tar should be version 1.13-19 at minumum, a 1.13 only report when
queried means its old & needs replaced.  There is also a 1.13-25 at
alpha.gnu.org, its solid here for at least 2 years so I've no idea
why its still being distributed under the 'alpha' banner by gnu.

>I'm using amanda 2.4.4 on SuSE Linux 8.1
>Tapedrive is HP SureStore 24x6 DDS3 changer
>
>If someone needs more log-infos I can provide them.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>Markus

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M