Amanda-Users

Re: Selfcheck, Host Down Errors

2003-04-28 15:07:09
Subject: Re: Selfcheck, Host Down Errors
From: Alisa Knodle Manning <amanning AT bu DOT edu>
To: Matt Hughes <mhughes AT inav DOT net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:59:31 -0400

There's a handy program available at Storage Mountain that can be used to verify that your entries in /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf are working as expected.

The link is:
http://storagemountain.com/amanda-14.html
Section of the Amanda Chapter is "Test and Debug Setup"

~Alisa

Matt Hughes wrote:

I recently had to reinstall Amanda onto our Tape Backup server after a failed hard drive resulted in a nasty crash. I managed to salvage the contents of the /etc/amanda directories but it was in that process that I discovered the person who had set this up before me (and who is no longer here) never backed up the Tape Backup server in the first place. SNAFU #1, eh?

In any case, I'm receiving this problem (domains & servers have been changed to sooth the soul of the other sysadmins in my company):

-bash-2.05b$ /usr/sbin/amcheck LinuxBackup
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /tapedump/linux: 35329056 KB disk space available, that's plenty
ERROR: cannot overwrite active tape Linux_week4_day4
      (expecting tape Linux_week4_day5 or a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/LinuxBackup/curinfo: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run
NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/LinuxBackup/index: does not exist
Server check took 24.467 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: server1.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server2.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server3.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server4.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server5.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server6.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server7.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server8.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server9.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server10.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server11.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server12.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: server13.domain.net: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 13 hosts checked in 30.019 seconds, 13 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)

It's the 'Host down?' stuff that is puzzling me. This is a Red Hat 9.0 box that is not behind a firewall. I installed amanda from RPMs (amanda-2.4.2p2-4, amanda-client-2.4.2p2-4, and amanda-server-2.4.2p2- 4). The same version (minus amanda-server) is on all the servers that I am attempting to contact though they are all Red Hat 7.3 boxes. In /tmp/amanda, this is all I am seeing in the debug file:

[root@understudy amanda]# cat amcheck.20030428061349.debug amcheck: debug 1 pid 11712 ruid 33 euid 0 start time Mon Apr 28 06:13:49 2003
amcheck: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.685
amcheck: pid 11712 finish time Mon Apr 28 06:14:19 2003

The proper entries are in /etc/services and in /etc/xinetd.conf I have changed the 'disable=yes' to 'disable=no' on all three. Restarted xinetd as well. I have also setup /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts:

[root@understudy etc]# cat /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts localhost amanda
localhost.localdomain amanda
understudy.domain.net amanda
understudy.domain.net root

I know it has to be something simple but what is driving me nuts. If you need more information, just let me know. Thanks in advance.

matt

--
Alisa Knodle Manning
Networking Group