Amanda-Users

statefile for multi-changer / chg-multi: Attempting to back up to Disk instead of tapes

2003-04-28 16:43:14
Subject: statefile for multi-changer / chg-multi: Attempting to back up to Disk instead of tapes
From: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab AT purdue DOT edu>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:38:58 -0500
Greetings. We just got a big NAS server, and I'm trying to configure amanda
to use it. I've followed instructions created by Clinton Hogge and Alex Muc
in the Faq-o-Matic. I feel like I'm 90% of the way there, but then I hit a
snag and was wondering if anybody had any insight on this.

I already created the config files, etc. according their instructions. I am
at the part where I have to start labeling the pseudo-tapes. I'm trying to
understand how the statefile & chg-multi are used... I specified a statefile
according to the directions given by Hogge in
/var/lib/amanda/DailyNAS1/changer-status. Muc just said, "You need to
specify the path to the statefile to match your setup."

Well I get errors trying to do anything such as amcheck or amlabel. It tells
me the statefile does not exist. Do I need to touch this file? Should it
contain something? Also, I cannot find the file chg-multi.

In Muc's directions, he says to execute the following command:
"$/usr/local/libexec/chg-multi -slot advance". Well the path doesn't even
exist on my machine. :\ Was this supposed to be created when amanda was
compiled? is it part of the OS?

I found references to a program / script "chg-multi" at
http://www.terraluna.org/dgp/cvsweb/amanda2/changer-src/chg-multi.sh.in?rlog
?rlog
and also at
http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/zacheiss/amanda-2.4.1p1/changer-src/chg-mul