Amanda-Users

Re: hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)

2003-04-25 10:11:31
Subject: Re: hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)
From: Steve Thompson <smt AT lookout.corning DOT com>
To: Russell Adams <RLAdams AT kelsey-seybold DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:05:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Russell Adams wrote:

> The host runs OpenVMS, and the only reason this is relevant is because
> I'm constantly wishing I could run AMANDA on this platform. VMS's
> BACKUP utility doesn't support compression, or anything else for that
> matter. Our backups are done by custom scripts. If I ran Tru64 or
> Linux on these, I'd be using AMANDA.
> [...]
> In uncompressed mode I get 4-5MB/s, in compressed its 800KB/s. Sad
> really.

Definitely something wrong here. I am using VMS BACKUP to write to some
TZ89 drives from an ES40 using hardware compression. I get on average
about 8 MB/sec. The system has six TZ89 drives on two buses and can write
at that speed to all six simultaneously.

Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:     smt AT corning DOT com
@ Corning, Incorporated        Office:     (607) 974 2659
Sullivan Park Data Center      FAX:        (607) 974 3964
Painted Post, NY 14870         Cell:       (607) 725 1167
  "186,300 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"