Amanda-Users

Re: hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)

2003-04-24 10:54:45
Subject: Re: hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:52:18 -0400
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:10:35AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> the propaganda claims because while you /etc dir may compress very
> well, that dir full of archive or music is going to expand in the
> hardware compressor, as that sort of stuff has already been
> smunched and isn't further compressible.

Just an informational note.

I attended a talk at a local SA group about tape technology presented by a FUJI
rep.

One of the interesting things at that talk was that some newer formats/drives
have "adaptive compression".  The drive compresses data to onboard memory
rather than to tape and if the data did not compress writes the original
data to tape.  It does this dynamically, even within a single tape file.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)