Amanda-Users

Re: Troubleshooting partition offline error

2003-04-16 11:49:42
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting partition offline error
From: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:56:58 -0400
[Jon, hope you don't mind my taking this back on the list.]

Still no joy in Mudville; my backup to Amanda struck out again last night.

Here's three sections from the Amanda email report:
These dumps were to tape Outside-16.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: Outside-17.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  www        /var/www lev 0 FAILED [disk /var/www offline on www?]
  www        /var/www/main/htdocs lev 0 FAILED [disk /var/www/main/htdocs
offline on www?]
  real       sda4 lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
  real       sda4 lev 0 FAILED ["data write: Connection reset by peer"]
  real       sda4 lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

NOTES:
  planner: Adding new disk www:/var/www/main/htdocs.
  planner: Adding new disk www:/var/www.
  planner: Last full dump of real:sda4 on tape  overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Dump too big for tape: full dump of real:sda2 delayed.
  taper: tape Outside-16 kb 10170272 fm 9 writing file: No space left on device

If I follow your thoughts correctly, my problem might be caused by my host
'real' which fills up the tape before the 'www' dumps can begin. I'll try to
break down 'real' into smaller chunks and see if this makes a difference.
Although I'm still doubtful, as the www partitions seem to fail in the estimate
section of the amdump.1 log:
setting up estimates for www:/var/www/main/htdocs
www:/var/www/main/htdocs overdue 12158 days for level 0
setup_estimate: www:/var/www/main/htdocs: command 0, options:
    last_level -1 next_level0 -12158 level_days 0
    getting estimates 0 (0) -1 (-1) -1 (-1)
setting up estimates for www:/var/www
www:/var/www overdue 12158 days for level 0
setup_estimate: www:/var/www: command 0, options:
    last_level -1 next_level0 -12158 level_days 0
    getting estimates 0 (0) -1 (-1) -1 (-1)
GETTING ESTIMATES...
got result for host www disk /var/www: 0 -> -1K, -1 -> -1K, -1 -> -1K
got result for host www disk /var/www/main/htdocs: 0 -> -1K, -1 -> -1K, -1 ->
-1K
FAILED QUEUE:
  0: www        /var/www
  1: www        /var/www/main/htdocs

Thanks for letting me know about not needing to change the disk partition from
its '/dev/sd??' designation to it's mount point. I didn't know this. I'll
reconfigure and kick off a backup right away. Now I'm really starting to sweat;
don't have a full backup of my main web section anywhere.

Thanks, again, for all your help and suggestions.

-Kevin Zembower

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:36:28PM -0400, KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:
> Jon, thank you so much for your questions and suggestions.
>
> "Don't think this causes any problems, but why the trailing / in /var/www/?
> It doesn't appear in the other entry."
>
> No other reason than some notes that I had made on another host had the
> trailing / in them. I see now that I wasn't consistent. I'll remove them for
> tonight's backup and see if there's a difference.
>
> "You omitted the section where the "taper" report is located (is that
> notes?). Did it actually fill the tape, possibly after writing lots of other
> DLE's and not having sufficient space left for either of these two entries?
> At least, not the one it tried."
>
> It looks like the first errors appeared in amdump.1 in the section on GETTING
> ESTIMATES, FAILED QUEUE. There's no other results in amdump.1 referring to
> taper and these partitions. It did report that it filled the tape:

Unclear, sorry.  When I said taper "report", I meant from the email report
that is sent to you.  As in:

NOTES:
 planner: Full dump of butch:/opt promoted from 3 days ahead.
 planner: Full dump of butch:/usr promoted from 3 days ahead.
 planner: Full dump of butch:/var promoted from 2 days ahead.
 planner: Full dump of butch:/w/dutch promoted from 2 days ahead.
 planner: Full dump of butch:/w/tape8 promoted from 2 days ahead.
 planner: Full dump of butch:/ promoted from 2 days ahead.
 planner: Full dump of butch:/w/jg1 promoted from 2 days ahead.
 taper: tape DS1-07 kb 11955296 fm 53 writing file: short write
 taper: retrying butch:/net/winnie/D.0 on new tape: [writing file: short write]
 taper: tape DS1-08 kb 6366624 fm 24 [OK]
                    ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
                    KB written   dump + headers files written

On the first taper line from above I hit the end of a DDS3 tape and
had to start the same file over on the second tape.

I deleted the other stuff from your email, but IIRC, you used to call the
file system sda8 in the disklist, now you call it www/.  That would be a
"new" entry because even though they may represent the same thing to you,
they are different names to amanda.  Why not continue to use sda8?  You
can still exclude if using tar.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)