Amanda-Users

Config help for newbie

2003-04-15 22:46:42
Subject: Config help for newbie
From: James Dory <engineer AT ci.nome.ak DOT us>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:01:05 -0700
I could use a hand. I've been reading thru "The Chapter" as well as some other online sources. Here's what I got: Right now in a new network I have about 3 linux servers using basic samba. One has used about 6 GB (36 total), the other two have used about 1 GB each. The network has about 15 users and doesn't generate a lot of changes over a week.. a few documents and some cad drawings edited or created. I have a single tape Quantum DLT 7000 for 40/80 gig tapes. I have a server dedicated to be the backup server (an old 200 Mhz.) with a 36 GB hard drive and a smaller 4 GB drive, both scsi, that the tape machine is hooked up to. Not all the users are saving to the servers yet. Everyone is on Windows PCs. One of the servers is email and as I move users on to it, I suspect the usage will grow there..

Right now I have a total of 16 tapes. I have a couple backups on about 3 of them from afio. I don't usually work weekends.

I can get more tapes if it is warranted.

I've got amanda built on a couple servers with little problem, using parameters of with-user=amanda, with-group=disk, and prefix=/usr/local/amanda.

I put one of my full backup tapes in the tape machine and typed afio -t /dev/nst0 and it output a list of files, so I'm pretty sure I have the tape working. When I do a mt -f /dev/nst0 status I get:
drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
drive status = 1073741824
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0\block number = 0
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x40 (unknown).
Soft error count since last status=0
Gerneral status bits on (41010000):
BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN [and then the prompt]

That's about as far as I am. I'm having a hard time grasping the cycles concepts but maybe it will click clear soon enough. Hoping someone could recommend how I might set up amanda.conf based on this.

I am studying this stuff but am super busy at work and don't have a lot of time and I would like to get amanda running soon.

Cheers, (and thanks in advance)

--
Jim D.