Amanda-Users

Minor problems with Spectralogic TreeFrog and chg-scsi

2003-04-15 20:07:49
Subject: Minor problems with Spectralogic TreeFrog and chg-scsi
From: Derek Suzuki <DSuzuki AT ZipRealty DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:45:55 -0700
        I have configured Amanda 2.4.4 on a Linux PC with an Adaptec
differential SCSI card and a Spectralogic Treefrog (AIT-2, 15-tape) changer.
My test rotation uses chg-scsi, with the changer.conf file attached at the
end of this message.  amtape segfaulted while I was labeling my tapes, but
the labels seemed to get recorded properly.  "amtape <conf> update"
segfaults while reading the first tape.
        Amanda seems to run okay if I just let it run unattended.  However,
if I try to tell the changer to switch to an arbitrary slot, the robot gets
confused about which tape goes into which real slot.  For example, it might
claim to be checking the tape in slot 2, but when the tape is unloaded it
will actually end up in slot 4.  Is this sort of thing normal?  I had hoped
to split the changer slots between two configurations, but that doesn't
appear to work at all.
        Meanwhile, I'm not sure whether the barcode reader is actually being
used.  Amanda does generate an accurate labelfile (though I didn't find a
standard way to turn that into text format), but it still sometimes seems
like it needs to load and read the tapes in order to identify them.
        Anyway, my backup rotation does seem to basically work.  I'm just
concerned about the changer confusion and wanted to see if this was a common
problem.

Derek Suzuki
dsuzuki AT ziprealty DOT com

# Configuration for chg-scsi tool
number_configs  1
eject           0
sleep           90
cleanmax        100
changerdev      /dev/sgb

# Configuration for drive #0
config          0
drivenum        0
dev             /dev/nst0
havebarcode     1
startuse        0
enduse          14
statfile        /var/lib/amanda/ziptest/tape0-slot
usagecount      /var/lib/amanda/ziptest/totaltime
tapestatus      /var/lib/amanda/ziptest/tapestatus
labelfile       /var/lib/amanda/ziptest/labelfile