Amanda-Users

Re: RESULTS MISSING ?

2003-04-10 16:03:43
Subject: Re: RESULTS MISSING ?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Alex Thurlow <alex.thurlow AT skylist DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:16:23 -0400
On Thu April 10 2003 11:55, Alex Thurlow wrote:
>At 07:36 PM 4/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>
><snipped>

>> >I just started using amanda backups over samba and am seeing
>> > the same thing.  In the disklist file, I have tried using
>> > localhost,
>>
>>Bad dog 99% of the time..
>>
>> > and the FQDN of the backup machine, with entries in /etc/hosts
>> > to point that name to 127.0.0.1 and to the IP of the machine.
>>
>>Another bad idea I believe.  One should never alias the real
>> machine name to 127.0.0.1, but only to its real IP address and
>> FQDN.  Or am I miss-understanding.
>
>I just meant that I tried all possible configurations to get this
> to work.

I wondered, but of course had to ask anyway :)

>>8 dumpers running?  That could be a bit excessive, I find that 2
>> or maybe 3 is all that can run efficiently here.  But thats both
>> hardware and number of clients variable.
>
>Like I said, I'm a newbie at this. But most of the machines being
> backed up are at co-los and other remote locations, so the
> network bandwidth is much lower than if I was backing up a bunch
> of local machines.
>
>> >   driver: FATAL schedule line 3: syntax error
>> >   localhost  /etc RESULTS MISSING
>> >   localhost  /var/lib/amanda RESULTS MISSING
>> >   login.wond /etc RESULTS MISSING
>> >   login.wond /home RESULTS MISSING
>> >   backup.dom //lyris1/bktest RESULTS MISSING
>> >   backup.dom //lyris1/Apache2 RESULTS MISSING
>> >   backup.dom //lyris1/SQL_backup RESULTS MISSING
>> >
>> >Does anyone know what this means?  My backups worked fine
>> > before, and if I remove the samba shares, they continue to
>> > work fine. Please excuse me if I'm not providing the right
>> > information.  I'm a relative newbie at this.
>
>I'm still having this problem.  I'm looked through all of the
> archives everywhere I can find.  I've seen people ask this
> question before, but I've never seen an answer to it.  Is this
> problem solvable, or am I out of luck?

At this point, it looks more like a samba problem than an amanda
problem.  I'd guess that at some point in the logging, there may be
a better explanation than just RESULTS MISSING, and that taking
that info in hand, or even sending it to a samba group, the answer
may be found.  I tried it early on between 2 linux boxes here, but
samba's non-support of a real filesystems dateing mechanisms caused
all sorts of "file changed while we read it" errors.  I wound up
doing an rsync to a local mirror and backing that up.  A much
cleaner solution IMO between 2 linux boxes.  How well, or even if,
it could be used against a real M$ box, I'm totally in the dark
about, no experience trying, as there no M$ machines here.

If you do solve it, please post how here, so that others may be
enlightened also.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M