Amanda-Users

Re: RESULTS MISSING ?

2003-04-09 13:47:05
Subject: Re: RESULTS MISSING ?
From: Alex Thurlow <alex.thurlow AT skylist DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:02:29 -0500
At 01:56 AM 4/9/2003 +0000, you wrote:

On Tue April 8 2003 09:58, Patrick_Zulke AT peopleware DOT be wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to backup some samba shares from several different
> hosts. When i edit the disklist to do a backup from one machine,
> both amcheck and amdump run without error. Now when i add another
> entry in the disklist for the other host (balthazor) amcheck
> reports no errors but amdump fails (see below)

>*** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!
>
>These dumps were to tape special2.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: special2.
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  driver: FATAL schedule line 3: syntax error
>  localhost  /home RESULTS MISSING
>  localhost  //balthazor/training$ RESULTS MISSING
>  localhost  //cvs/projects$ RESULTS MISSING
>

>STATISTICS:
>                          Total       Full      Daily
>                        --------   --------   --------
>Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
>Run Time (hrs:min)         0:00
>Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
>Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
>Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
>Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
>Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
>Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
>
>Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
>Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
>Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
>Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
>Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
>

>NOTES:
>  planner: Adding new disk localhost:/home.
>  planner: Adding new disk localhost://balthazor/training$.
>  taper: tape special2 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
>

>DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER
>STATS
>HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s
> MMM:SS KB/s
>-------------------------- ---------------------------------
> --------- ---
>localhost    -/training$   MISSING
> ----------------------------------- ---
>localhost    -/projects$   MISSING
> ----------------------------------- ---
>localhost    /home         MISSING
> ----------------------------------- ---
>
>(brought to you by Amanda version
> 2.4.2p2)----------------------------
> ----------------------------------
>
>I can connect with smbclient to both machines with the desired
>account. /etc/amandapass is correct (which is confirmed by running
>amcheck). In short everything works fine UNTIL i add an entry for
>balthazor to the disklist. Then nothing works anymore.

The docs have warnings about the use of localhost, and I'd suspect
its use is biteing you.  Please use FQDN's exactly as they exist
either in the /etc/hosts file, or in the named records if you are
using a local nameserver.

I just started using amanda backups over samba and am seeing the same thing. In the disklist file, I have tried using localhost, and the FQDN of the backup machine, with entries in /etc/hosts to point that name to 127.0.0.1 and to the IP of the machine. It hasn't worked under any of these circumstances, so I don't think that's the problem. The sendsize file even shows that it can grab the size of the samba shares. I am using Redhat 7.3 and the rpm version of amanda-2.4.2p2-7. When I run amdump, a ps -fxa shows:

19012 pts/0    S      0:00          \_ su amanda -c amdump DailyBackup
19013 pts/0    S      0:00          |   \_ /bin/sh /usr/sbin/amdump DailyBackup
19020 pts/0 S 0:00 | \_ /usr/lib/amanda/planner DailyBackup 19021 pts/0 S 0:00 | \_ /usr/lib/amanda/driver DailyBackup
19022 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ taper DailyBackup
19027 pts/0    S      0:00          |           |   \_ taper DailyBackup
19023 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup
19028 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup
19029 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup
19030 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup
19031 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup
19034 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup
19035 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup
19036 pts/0    S      0:00          |           \_ dumper DailyBackup

The whole time.  No dumpers run.  The report shows:

  driver: FATAL schedule line 3: syntax error
  localhost  /etc RESULTS MISSING
  localhost  /var/lib/amanda RESULTS MISSING
  login.wond /etc RESULTS MISSING
  login.wond /home RESULTS MISSING
  backup.dom //lyris1/bktest RESULTS MISSING
  backup.dom //lyris1/Apache2 RESULTS MISSING
  backup.dom //lyris1/SQL_backup RESULTS MISSING

Does anyone know what this means? My backups worked fine before, and if I remove the samba shares, they continue to work fine. Please excuse me if I'm not providing the right information. I'm a relative newbie at this.

Alex Thurlow