Amanda-Users

Re: dump to tape failed... but why?

2003-04-08 21:35:13
Subject: Re: dump to tape failed... but why?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: a blob of green gelatin <jello AT lava DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:56:50 -0400
On Tue April 8 2003 14:03, a blob of green gelatin wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >taper: stream_accept: timeout after 120 seconds
>> >dumper: stream_client: connect to 127.0.0.1.32810 failed:
>> > Connection timed out
>>
>> Are you useing localhost as the client address?  Please use its
>> FQDN, there are warnings about weird localhost problems aplenty
>> in the archives.
>
>Yup, that was the problem.  In my /etc/hosts file I just had the
> default 127.0.0.1     [hostname] localhost.localdomain localhost
>
>I replaced the 127.0.0.1 with the IP address (and ensured the
> hostname was FQDN) and sure enough it worked!
>
>Thanks for the sharp eye!

Thanks for the flowers.  Even an old coot manages to hit one once in
a while. :-)

I have a tendency to cheat, in that I use a script to drive the
configure utility that saves my butt if I screw up, and I'll freely
admit I got this from someone else on this list by plagerizing it:
------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!   Warning   !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=host.machines.ip.address \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

which reminds me if I get to suffering from alzhiemers too badly.

Modify to suit your hardware of course :)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: