Amanda-Users

Desired options. Was [RE: Frontend , UI for amanda ?]

2003-04-01 12:42:16
Subject: Desired options. Was [RE: Frontend , UI for amanda ?]
From: Keith Higgs <dkh2 AT cwru DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:03:08 -0500
I have to agree that a GUI frontend would be nice but completely unnecessary.
If you don't know your way around a command prompt you have little business
being a backup administrator.

That said, there are lots of opportunities for additional configuration
options.  Our single tape drive system is physically in a secure area that is
staffed by our central IT department.  I have full access to the room but, we
need to work out a process/procedure for their over-night operator to change
out the tapes for us on a regular schedule.

I would really like options to send tape administration reminders to a
specified email address as part of the amcheck process.  I could then schedule
amcheck to run long enough ahead the call to amdump for the operator to change
the tape if needed.

Additionally, there could be an option for amdump to send such a message as
needed for a tape swap during a backup run, or upon completion.

The use of this method within amcheck is by far the more preferrable because it
provides more flexibility.  If you have multiple configurations scheduled to
run at different times, it provides a means of checking the tape and requesting
a change so you have fewer situations that require use of amflush.

D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 AT cwru DOT edu> x0559
 Case Western Reserve University, Webmaster - University Library
 Additional Information at http://www.cwru.edu/UL/ and http://keith.cwru.edu/
"Follow the white rabbit."