Amanda-Users

Re: Frontend , UI for amanda ?

2003-04-01 12:21:45
Subject: Re: Frontend , UI for amanda ?
From: Kirk Strauser <kirk AT strauser DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:54:31 -0600
At 2003-04-01T00:23:29Z, "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com> writes:

> At remote sites where the user is unlikely to even log in to the console,
> they need some way to interact with AMANDA. They at least need to know
> what tape to put in next; need to be able to add new tapes; and mark
> existing tapes as NO-REUSE. (In my case, I can count on them calling
> support for a restore.)

I wrote a Python GUI to handle routine administrative tasks (eject a tape,
launch a backup, check the current backup's status, see what tape comes
next, etc) on either the local machine or a remote server.  It's available
at:

    http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Main/WebHome?topic=AmControl

Two things:

1) It's written in Python and uses the TkInter widget set.  This should run
   unmodified on Unix, Windows, and Mac (although I've only tested it on
   Linux).

2) I wrote it with an eye for future expandability.  Want to make it
   add/remove tapes?  Should take about 20 minutes.

It's certainly not a comprehensive solution, but it *will* allow non-expert
users to launch backups by clicking a button.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.