Amanda-Users

Re: Frontend , UI for amanda ?

2003-04-01 11:58:23
Subject: Re: Frontend , UI for amanda ?
From: Riccardo Parola <rick AT standardprinting DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:56:39 -0500
I'll add my two cents as if this was a survey :-)

I did immensely feel that a GUI was missing when I started with AMANDA. Now I
absolutely don't see a need for it for regular day to day use. Makes perfect
sense to me that if you're the one setting amanda up you shouldn't be afraid
of the prompt, and on something as important as backups for an organization,
you should know how it works and and THAT it does. A GUI to set up AMANDA
would just help you take your job more lightly.

I do however see a place for a GUI: In my case I'm setting up AMANDA at a
customer's site, I will not be the one in charge of day to day operation and
while the email setup amanda has is perfect for rotating tapes and knowing
which tape goes in next, I have a problem picturing linux illiterates having
to log into a server prompt ant typing stuff to flush the holding disk if a
rotation was missed or lableling/deleting a tape alsto, to periodically test
the backups maybe even by doing a dummy restore of some files to a temporary
directory. For little things like that, part of the general maintenence I'd
want the customer to take care of without my intervention I'd like to see a
GUI. I'm creating comand aliases instead and that's ok :-)

As far as the "form" of the GUI, the way I'd picture it is simply webbased, no
need for X libraries, very minimal stuff is really needed on the server, it
can be accessed locally or from ANY computer on the network with any platform
as long as there is a browser. If I could write one I'd probably make it a
Webmin module.

--

Riccardo Parola
Internet Manager