Amanda-Users

Re: Who uses amanda?

2003-03-12 14:45:37
Subject: Re: Who uses amanda?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:11:54 -0500
On Wed March 12 2003 12:45, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But since amanda is a client/server setup, and the client can be
>> told to do the compression, the next consideration would be the
>> occupied network bandwidth while the backup is running.  Using
>> client compression can make night and day differences in the
>> network loading and its general useability while the backup is
>> in progress.  You'll need at least 100baseT if its going to get
>> well into the 10's of gigabytes per session.
>
>The gain with the parallelisation of Amanda can be amazing!

Thats what I was trying to say Paul, but not all that well said.
Data like this is very convincing.  And, here, I couldn't show that
since the other machine is actually backed up by rsyncing it, and
the rsync'd mirror then gets backed up here.  This gets rid of the
smb and its bogus file dates gotchas, but doesn't allow for the
paralleling of jobs out on the client...  Someday...

These are great figures in fact, thats a time shrinkage to 19% of
what it would have taken if serialized.

Now the 64k question is, can veritas, arkeia, tivoli, or bru top
that?  I have VERY serious doubts about that personally.

>Here is a snippet of my archive run last weekend:
>
>STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
>Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:13
>Run Time (hrs:min)         8:12
>Dump Time (hrs:min)       42:57      42:57       0:00
>Output Size (meg)       70427.9    70427.9        0.0
>Original Size (meg)    149337.0   149337.0        0.0
>Avg Compressed Size (%)    47.2       47.2        --
>Filesystems Dumped          114        114          0
>Avg Dump Rate (k/s)       466.3      466.3        --
>

>It means that it did a full backup in 8 hours 12 minutes,
>that would take almost 43 hours when run sequentially (what
>many simple backup scripts actually do!).
>We have a mix of fast and old slow machines (Sun Sparc IPX,
>Intel Pentium 150Mhz with 32 MByte RAM etc); also a mix of
>100baseT and 10baseT network cards.  Amanda does them all
>(do there still exist veritas clients for SunOS 4.1.4?).
>
>For curiosity, here is my Daily config statistics section:
>
>STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
>Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:28
>Run Time (hrs:min)         2:52
>Dump Time (hrs:min)       11:40       8:45       2:55
>Output Size (meg)       16658.4    15116.6     1541.8
>Original Size (meg)     42697.5    37183.0     5514.5
>Avg Compressed Size (%)    39.0       40.7       28.0
>Filesystems Dumped          116         22         94   (1:89 2:5)
>Avg Dump Rate (k/s)       406.4      491.5      150.7

And this is a 75% reduction here.

You are doing about 20x the data I am, in about the same time.  But
my drive is a DDS2, so one normally calls a surveyer to set stakes
in order to measure its throughput anyway. :-(

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M