Amanda-Users

Re: Who uses amanda?

2003-03-12 10:45:19
Subject: Re: Who uses amanda?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Dr. David Kirkby" <davek AT medphys.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:05:28 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 at 11:59am, Dr. David Kirkby wrote

> Can anyone tell me if they use amanda and are a large commercial company
> (> 250 employees), a hospital or a university and if so how much it's
> used (whole institution, small department, single server etc). How many
> Gb do you back up (don't answer that if you feel its confidential, or
> you don't know).

I'm the sysadmin for two research groups here (total of about 30 or so
faculty/staff/grad students), both with large data storage needs.  I use
two amanda configs.  The first backs up the 30 or so desktops etc to a 7GB
native exabyte drive.  Total amount of data is about 50GB.

The second backs up the 3 RAIDs in use for the groups (.5TB, 1TB, 2TB) to
an Overland AIT3 changer (1 drive, 19 tapes).  There's currently about 2TB
worth of data spread over the 3 arrays.

If you search the archives, you can find more threads like this, and more
answers.  There are some folks running very large installs (both in terms
of numbers of clients and in terms of amount of data.

Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering