Amanda-Users

Re: Who uses amanda? -- RFC

2003-03-12 13:22:21
Subject: Re: Who uses amanda? -- RFC
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:55:50 -0500
This regular query never made it to the FAQ-O-Matic I see.

A proposal, I'll put together a survey form (sample follows)
and ask the list for submissions.

After a period I'll summarize the data, hopefully in a table
of some form and submit it to the F-O-M.

So, two questions:

 1. Is the survey desired or frowned upon?

 2. Is the data asked for, and the wording of the form suitable?

On or Off-list opinions gratefully accepted.

Jon,

[[ proposed survey form ]]

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS SURVEY, IT IS NOT FINALIZED!
RESPONDER INFORMATION

        Name .......... :
        Organization .. :
        Email Address   :
        Date Submitted  :

   Note, responder information is requested for confirmation
   and clarification purposes only.  It will not be included
   in any published compendium of the information.

ORGANIZATION USING AMANDA INFORMATION

        Name ..................... :
        Department ............... :
        Extent of Amanda Usage ... :
          (entire organization, department, subnet, ...)
        Date of First Amanda Usage :
          (yyyy/mm)

    Note, if you prefer the organization remain anonymous,
    please provide descriptive information (eg. Fortune 100
    insurance company, German computer manufacturer, eastern
    state university, independent consultant home office, ...)

DESCRIPTION OF AMANDA INSTALLATION

        Dumpcycle .......... :
        Frequency of Backups :
          (daily, weekly, 5/week, ...)

        Number of Client Hosts Backed up by Amanda :
        Total Disk Capacity of Client Hosts ...... :
        Total Data on Client Host Disks .......... :
        Average Size of Data Backed Up Per Backup  :
          (pre-compression)

        Amanda Server Host(s)
          Amanda Version(s)   :
          Operating System(s) :

        Amanda Client Host(s)
          Amanda Version(s)   :
          Operating System(s) :

    Note, if you are running multiple configurations please
    try to give pooled values; alternatively, repeat parts
    of the survey as necessary.

[[ end of proposed survey form ]]
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)