Amanda-Users

Re: drive compression discovery

2003-03-12 10:27:18
Subject: Re: drive compression discovery
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:32:14 +0100
Sven Rudolph wrote:

But when you handcraft this by any workaround like you proposed, there
are even more races possible. (Like something migt change the tape
beetween your amcheck and yout script-erasing.)

But you only have to do this once for each tape!  There is no need
to put this in the taper program.  Just like you have to label each
tape once manually too.  Just consider this as if you had labeled
your tapes bad, and you have to do it again (actually, this is
indeed what happened!).
While using the mentioned "extended" relabeling procedure to avoid
the compression on your tape, you are watching who inserts the tape yourself, no race condition, unless your shadow is faster than you.