Amanda-Users

Re: drive compression discovery

2003-03-10 18:10:58
Subject: Re: drive compression discovery
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: "Marty Shannon, RHCE" <mshannon AT domovina DOT org>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 16:05:52 -0500
On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 14:49, Marty Shannon, RHCE wrote:
> Eric Sproul wrote:
> > Also, my system is Linux, so there
> > are no compression-related device names.
>
> Actually, all Linux Amanda users should read and understand (and implement)
> the
> stinit man page.  Once you've built a proper "/etc/stinit.def" for your
> drive(s), and make the proper device nodes, you should never have any issues
> with compression again.

Actually, as I found out, the Debian mt-st package's init script only
runs stinit if st support is compiled into the kernel.  If you use
modules, you need to set up a 'post-install' command in modules.conf, so
when modprobe loads the module, it will run this command.

Debian uses an additional mechanism for customizing modules.conf, so
users of other distros may just be able to directly modify modules.conf
with the post-install command listed.  Also check your mt's man page for
the particular commands it accepts.  I previously used GNU mt, but have
switched to mt-st, version 0.7.

For Debian:
I entered the following line in /etc/modutils/actions
post-install st mt -f /dev/nst0 compression off

Then I ran update-modules(8), which integrated this change into my
modules.conf.

I did an 'rmmod st' and verified with lsmod and dmesg that the st module
was no longer loaded.  Then I did a 'modprobe st'.  Using tapeinfo(1)
from the mtx package, I saw that the drive was initialized with
compression off, thanks to the post-install command.

Eric