Amanda-Users

Re: drive compression discovery

2003-03-12 15:34:35
Subject: Re: drive compression discovery
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:12:14 -0500 (EST)
I realize this isn't the correct forum, but as long as
your are already on the subject I'm hoping you will not
mind too much.

I have one system, just one, that I do not run amanda on
but perform backups of. Its a Redhat Linux rel 7.2, code
name Inigma, kernel 2.4.9.3-1, with a DLT 8000 drive. We
are running out of tape during our nightly dump and can't
seem to figure out the correct drive parameters to either
use better blocking or turn on compression.

Yes, I've been following this discussion but we haven't
been successful.

Current command is

# dump 0udsf 49125 67854 /dev/nst0 /iarcvol
(I'm not primary on that system, I'm not really sure where
 these values originated but have been involved in testing
 tweeking them).

Only about 18 of the 25 gig make it to tape and a DLT8000
should have sufficient capacity to dump all the date with
room to spare.

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian