Amanda-Users

Re: Q: finally!!! my first backup ... but :-)

2003-03-06 06:33:45
Subject: Re: Q: finally!!! my first backup ... but :-)
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: "Ra.l Wild-Spain" <rcruz AT wild-spain DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:42:29 +0200
Hi!

> Finally! yesterday I did my first backup and it seems ok, but I've
> some doubts about various messages:
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   xaloc      /dev/sdc2 lev 0 STRANGE

The STRANGE message is generally nothing harmful. It means that the
backup program exited with non-standard but non-fatal error code. See
below for details:

> ? gtar: ./notesdata/mail/sdelamoc.nsf: file changed as we read it
> ? gtar: ./notesdata/mail/spaxtonl.nsf: file changed as we read it
> ? gtar: ./notesdata/mail/xguardio.nsf: file changed as we read it

So the mail arrived to these mailboxes while they were being read by
gtar. You can check with amrecover whether these files were backed up.
I use dump for backup myself so I don't know about gtar, but I'd guess
you're OK.

BTW, please accept my sincere sympathy for running Lotus Domino :-)
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* How can you tell when you've run out of invisible ink?