Amanda-Users

Re: Excluding more than one file when backing up a windows client

2003-03-01 05:20:33
Subject: Re: Excluding more than one file when backing up a windows client
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Amanda <amanda AT gnosys DOT biz>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 03:38:19 -0500
On Fri February 28 2003 23:14, Amanda wrote:
>Hi All-
>
>Does anyone know how to do this?  I'm using 2.4.4, and have read
> the docs/SAMBA file and see the note about only being able to use
> "exclude" (not "exclude list") when backing up a windows client
> using smbclient.
>
>Is that the final answer?  Is there no method whatsoever available
> for excluding more than one file per client machine?

Sure.  AIUI, you can specify a file as the exclude list, and this
file then contains a list of the files you want to exclude, stated
in relative (./filename) format. Samba will I believe, translate
the backslash style of windows pathlist seperator into a forward
slash as used by the rest of the world, and if the exclude list is
a local list without translation, then an entry in the list file of
./WIN386.SWP should exclude that file.  Similarly another liine
with an entry of ./SendTo in that same file should cause it (and
all its subdirs) to be excluded.

That is of course if I understand it correctly.  I don't have such a
situation here, and the gotchas of useing samba made an rsync
believer out of me, so I rsync to a local mirror of the other
machine, and backup that local directory, which works much better
than the hit or miss you get because samba doesn't support the
correct file dating info since it doesn't exist on a M$ box in the
first place.

However, I'd gladly leave the final pronouncement as to how it works
to someone who is actually doing it.  All volunteers welcome here.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M