Amanda-Users

Excluding more than one file when backing up a windows client

2003-03-01 00:51:40
Subject: Excluding more than one file when backing up a windows client
From: Amanda <amanda AT gnosys DOT biz>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:14:05 -0500
Hi All-

Does anyone know how to do this?  I'm using 2.4.4, and have read the
docs/SAMBA file and see the note about only being able to use "exclude"
(not "exclude list") when backing up a windows client using smbclient.

Is that the final answer?  Is there no method whatsoever available for
excluding more than one file per client machine?

I don't want amanda to try and backup my \WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP file, and I
don't want it to try and backup my \WINDOWS\SendTo directory (it's trying
to get both right now, and when I tell it not to get one, it tries to get
the other---when I tell it not to get both (with two exclude commands),
amcheck complains that this is not allowed), and there are a few others
that I will never want to backup.  Is there any way I can do this with
amanda?  I see sourceforge has (had?) some work going on with something
called amanda-win32, but it looks pretty stale.  I see that there is an
outstanding project to "Optionally use smbwrapper and GNU tar instead of
smbclient to perform SAMBA backups."  I also see from way back (year 2000)
some discussion on amanda-hackers about a patch for doing "exclude list"
with smbclient, but I'm skeptical about trying to patch my 2.4.4 sources
with a patch that old---especially without much testimony on its quality.

I'd love to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.