Amanda-Users

Re: holding disk and full dumps

2003-02-28 14:15:16
Subject: Re: holding disk and full dumps
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:22:11 -0500
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:47:18PM -0800, Bao Ho wrote:

> What you thought is exactly my config. I have one server running mail
> service, another for
> file sharing and is where amanda is. In the past, I had Tapeware installed
> on the second, which
> mounted the mail folder on the first, and backed up both. Recently, Tapeware
> has caused many
> crashes and I am forced to switch to amanda.Tapeware has the advantages of
> having a GUI,
> where I could schedule both full and incremental, specify which day to run
> the full, which to run
> inc. This makes the restoration task much easier b/c I knew which tape
> contained the last full, and
> started from it.
>
> If I have to rely on Amanda for choosing the full backup, is there any
> difficulty in locating it? Like looking
> for "tape" has the last full backup?

Assuming you have the "index" configuration parameter to "yes", amanda
keeps track of which files and on what tapes.  When you do a recovery
you specify "as of what date" you want the recovery.  For example, I
discovered I had trashed a file a while ago without realizing it.  My
schedule has a months worth of backups in the tapecycle.  So I asked
to recover the file "as of 1/31", about 3 weeks earlier.  Amanda knew
to start with a level 0 from earlier than that and one level 1 after.
Two tapes.  Your current "tapeware" scheme might have had you doing
the full backup then several incrementals.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)