Amanda-Users

Re: holding disk and full dumps

2003-02-27 23:01:02
Subject: Re: holding disk and full dumps
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
To: bao <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 03:26:16 +0100
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:09:33PM -0800, bao wrote:

> 1. If I want to do a full dump of the entire selected folder every week,
> and incremental dumps every other days (1 full, 6 inc. per week), does
> it mean I have to rely on amanda in choosing what to do with load
> balancing??

Yes. This is one advantage Amanda has over commercial utilities.
She does all the scheduling and very well. You can force backups
See manpage of amadmin.

> 2. I read somewhere (which I can't find where and can't remember
> exactly) that for full dumps or for tapeless backup, holding disk should
> be set to no. When I set this to no, amanda complains that:
> [can't dump no-hold disk in degraded mode]
>
> Please tell me what this means.

This is usually bad advice, because you loose all parallism of Amanda
and its ability to keep the tape streaming.  The only exception i can
think of is if you are backing exactly one machine to the file output
driver, using no holding disk makes sense.

  Ciao
    Dietmar

--
Dietmar Goldbeck, Senior Consultant, <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
Neteligent GmbH, http://www.neteligent.de/