Amanda-Users

Re: Help With Restore

2003-02-26 14:23:37
Subject: Re: Help With Restore
From: Martin hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: Kenneth Sullivan <sullivak AT nukote DOT com>, "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:20:10 +0000
Kenneth Sullivan wrote:
I'm trying to restore a directory on one of our servers.  First, I
want the directory to reside in a temporary location before I move it
to its original location.  I ran the following command in the temp
location:

amrestore /dev/nst0 <hostname> /.1/shares

Now I have a file in my temp directory named
<hostname>._.1_shares.20030206.0.  I've tried to tar it to expand the
contents but the server just sits there, even when running tar
overnight.  I used:

tar xvpS <hostname>._.1_shares.20030206.0

What am I doing wrong?  I need to be able to pull a certain directory
out and trash the rest.  Any help will be appreciated.

Hi

well I tend to use amrecover myself....

amrecover [ [ -C ] config ] [ -s index-server ] [ -t tape-server ] [ -d tape-device ]

(index and tape server tend to be same)

then inside amrecover you can set the dir/filesystem you want to recover, where you want it to go and from what date.

anyway back to your tar problem. you haven't used the 'f' option to tell tar to use a non default file ie..

tar xvpfS <hostname>._.1_shares.20030206.0

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.