Amanda-Users

Re: Help With Restore

2003-02-26 14:03:17
Subject: Re: Help With Restore
From: Chris Johnson <chris AT sebis DOT com>
To: Kenneth Sullivan <sullivak AT nukote DOT com>, amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:20:40 -0600
Hi Kenneth,
   First off are you sure that you are restoring a tar file.
Second try using amrecover. It's an interactive ftp like utility that is very usefull for restoring a single directory or file.
chrisj
Kenneth Sullivan wrote:

I'm trying to restore a directory on one of our servers.  First, I
want the directory to reside in a temporary location before I move it
to its original location.  I ran the following command in the temp
location:

amrestore /dev/nst0 <hostname> /.1/shares

Now I have a file in my temp directory named
<hostname>._.1_shares.20030206.0.  I've tried to tar it to expand the
contents but the server just sits there, even when running tar
overnight.  I used:

tar xvpS <hostname>._.1_shares.20030206.0

What am I doing wrong?  I need to be able to pull a certain directory
out and trash the rest.  Any help will be appreciated.