Amanda-Users

Re: RAIT

2003-02-21 12:49:45
Subject: Re: RAIT
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:13:21 -0500
On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:22:04PM -0000, Keith Hall wrote:
> Good point...
>
> But I think if you use amrmtape you are effectively saying that the tape is
> no longer in use therefore you wouldn't use amrmtape if you intend reusing
> the tape(s). So amrmtape behaviour shouldn't change from what it does now.
> Not sure why you would want to amrmtape 'just one'...
>
> If amrmtape removes indexes and you didn't want to remove the indexes for
> some reason then should there be an option to exclude this process?
>
> Regards,
>
> Keith.

I misspoke.  I was thinking of a situation where one tape of a
mirrored pair might be "archived".  I guess the command in that
case is something like "amadmin no-reuse" (syntax unchecked).
IIRC that preserves the index; at least for non-rait situations.

In such a case, when the "still in use" tape gets recycled in
the tapelist and overwritten, would the index still be retained
for the "no-reuse" copy of the tape?

I'm still curious about handling of the indicies for multiple
copy situations and even for strip'ed arrangements.  Suppose
one tape of a rait strip gets overwritten.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)