Amanda-Users

Re First Time Changer User

2003-02-11 08:48:55
Subject: Re First Time Changer User
From: David Flood <dpf AT scms.rgu.ac DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:21:05 +0000 (GMT)
Thanks to Jon, Gene, Chris, Joshua, Jay and Liam for responding last week. I
did
get
the changer set up, turns out I just had to uncomment two lines in sgen.conf
and
reboot.
Well it would have been if the changer's default SCSI id was not the same as
the
CD
drive in solaris but once I got that sorted out mtx worked like a dream.

There is still a couple of questions I have about the changer scripts. Firstly
what is the
difference between ch-mtx, ch-zd-mtx and chg-scsi.
I tied getting ch-zd-mtx to work but could not so I used the script that come
within the mtx distribution which seems to be working.

As most people on the list seem to be using ch-zd-mtx I would rather use that
make any future problem solving easier. I set my changerfile with the following
values (If it's not listed here it has the default):

firstslot=1
lastslot=10
autoclean=0
offline_before_unload=0
max_drive_wait=300

The chg-zd-mtx script it says to run "/path/to/amanda/libexec/chg-zd-mtx
-info".
When I run this I get different results depending on the values set in the
changerfile but no matter what setting I put in the changer file the result
does
not make sense.

With cleanslot left at default which is -1 Iget the following error from
"/path/to/amanda/libexec/chg-zd-mtx -info":

<none> cleanslot ('-1') not numeric in /opt/amanda/etc/amanda/CHANGER.conf

If I change cleanslot to 10 I get:

<none> cleancycle ('120') not numeric in /opt/amanda/etc/amanda/CHANGER.conf

I don't understand any of these especially since the script does not have a
variable called cleancycle.

I'm running Solaris 8 with amanda 2.4.3 (See I am learning Jon)

David Flood
Systems Administrator