Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with reiserfs?

2003-02-11 06:44:51
Subject: Re: Problems with reiserfs?
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT linux DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:06:44 +0000
On Tuesday 11 February 2003 07:53, Rainer Hofmann wrote:

> Is reiserfs the problem? The amanda version installed on the backup server
> is amanda-2.4.1p1-29. On a different machine I'm running ext3 which is
> backed up properly on the same backup server.

What's your backup method - dump or tar ? Dump doesn't work whatsoever with
reiserfs (it undestands the ext2 FS format, and ext3 is basically the same)
so that may be your problem. Also, it should be mentioned that Linus recently
said that dump should NOT be used on Linux as a backup method because of the
way Linux handles filesystems. He says that it may well work 99% of the time,
but the 1% may be when you need to restore.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

Niall  O Broin