Amanda-Users

Re: changer problems when running from cron

2003-02-11 04:02:02
Subject: Re: changer problems when running from cron
From: Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter AT jawa DOT at>
To: jrj AT purdue DOT edu
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:37:49 +0100
Hi,

John R. Jackson schrieb:
we wrote our own request() function.

And what's in your version of the function?  My guess is it is not
waiting long enough for the tape to go ready.

What's in /tmp/amanda/changer.debug?
AFAIK, if I'm invoking amcheck, then this programm starts the changer-script and waits with waitpid() for the end of the changer script, but the changer-script ends to quick and then waitpid() returns an error. This must be a timing problem, as a said if I add a sleep i the changer-script then it works better, but not completely.

The weird thing was that when I'm invoking the amcheck (or amdump) from the commandline, then it works perfect, only when starting from cron this doesen't work.

We have the same scripts on other machines running for more then a year with no problems, but on this machine it doesen't work.

We use the changer scripts for avoiding that amanda puts the dump on the holding disk if no tape was inserted, instead using our scripts amanda, waits for the right tape and after the right tape was inserted amanda starts with the backup.

however, I disabled the changer-mechanism and now the backup works.

thanx,
bye,
--
Michael Bretterklieber          - Michael.Bretterklieber AT jawa DOT at