Amanda-Users

Re: changer problems when running from cron

2003-02-07 08:35:42
Subject: Re: changer problems when running from cron
From: Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter AT jawa DOT at>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:58:40 +0100
Hi,

Joshua Baker-LePain schrieb:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 at 11:31am, Michael Bretterklieber wrote

we have problems with amanda when running from cron, amanda always means that the right tape is not or no tape is inserted but it is.

I tried to track down the problem and I can reproduce this problem with amcheck, when running amcheck from cron:

amcheck-server: could not get changer info: wait for "/usr/local/libexec/chg-manual" failed: No child processes

chg-manual is meant to be used when you run amdump interactively. It waits for you to put the right tape in and then let it know. This won't work when running from cron.
we wrote our own request() function.

The weird thing is that the same configuration runs on other systems (FreeBSD-systems) without problems.

Do you really need runtapes > 1

No. I have runtapes = 1 in my amanda.conf:

runtapes 1 # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
tpchanger "chg-manual"  # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
rawtapedev "/dev/nst0"  # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/gamed/changer"
changerdev "/dev/null"

bye,
--
Michael Bretterklieber          - Michael.Bretterklieber AT jawa DOT at