Amanda-Users

Re: Question about uninstall and reinstall

2003-02-06 10:28:24
Subject: Re: Question about uninstall and reinstall
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Pro-Fit <profit2k AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:33:30 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 at 5:21am, Pro-Fit wrote

> Machine A has new amanda and is configured to be the
> backup server
> (it has the tape drive).  Machine B is the client.  It
> also has the
> amanda software, but it was installed at an earlier
> time, and was
> configured to use a different --with-config,  and it
> was setup to be
> a server.
>
> 1. Does the client thinks it's the server, even though
> I can connect
> to it from the main amanda server using amcheck?

Nope.

> 2. Do I need to completely remove amanda on machine b,
> and run setup
> using the without-server option along with the
> with-index-server and
> with-tape-server options?

No, you don't *have* to, but it can make things easier.

> 3. Can I modify the client's amanda.conf file to point
> to the main
> amanda server?

Clients don't ever touch an amanda.conf.  You can just remove it.

> 4. If I need to uninstall amanda, is just a matter of
> deleting all
> instances of amanda (files and directories)?

That depends on how it was installed.  If it was installed via something
like rpm or apt, use those to uninstall it.

> 5. Can I run the latest version of amanda, and
> *assume* it will
> overwrite the existing config?  The with-config that's
> on the client
> is the default config.  I've modified the with-config
> on the server
> install.

Not necessarily, unless you know the ./configure options used to build
the client version.  I'd uninstall it if you plan on installing a new
version.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering