Amanda-Users

Question about uninstall and reinstall

2003-02-06 08:53:09
Subject: Question about uninstall and reinstall
From: Pro-Fit <profit2k AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 05:21:59 -0800 (PST)
Hello all, another amanda newbie here (oh geesh, I
know...)

I've got it setup, just some questions about the
client end.  Any
thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I'm concerned that there might be some issues on one
of my clients
that had the whole amanda package (and an earlier
version at that)
installed as part of the Linux OS install.

Here's what I'm thinking?

Machine A has new amanda and is configured to be the
backup server
(it has the tape drive).  Machine B is the client.  It
also has the
amanda software, but it was installed at an earlier
time, and was
configured to use a different --with-config,  and it
was setup to be
a server.

1. Does the client thinks it's the server, even though
I can connect
to it from the main amanda server using amcheck?
2. Do I need to completely remove amanda on machine b,
and run setup
using the without-server option along with the
with-index-server and
with-tape-server options?
3. Can I modify the client's amanda.conf file to point
to the main
amanda server?
4. If I need to uninstall amanda, is just a matter of
deleting all
instances of amanda (files and directories)?
5. Can I run the latest version of amanda, and
*assume* it will
overwrite the existing config?  The with-config that's
on the client
is the default config.  I've modified the with-config
on the server
install.

Thank you all very much!!!
Michael