Amanda-Users

Re: First time Changer user

2003-02-05 16:36:06
Subject: Re: First time Changer user
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "David Flood" <dpf AT scms.rgu.ac DOT uk>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:02:13 -0500
On Wednesday 05 February 2003 13:06, David Flood wrote:
>We have had a tape changer running with amanda for a while but it
> was just being used as the a single drive and the data is
> starting to exceed the size of the tape.(DLT40 - 80G compressed)
>
>I'm starting to look into utilizing the functionality of the
> changer. I've looked at the docs and have the impression that all
> I have to do is specify the chg-scsi in the amanda.conf and
> set-up the chg-scsi.conf. Here are examples of the part of
> amanda.conf and chg-scsi.conf.
>
>amanda.conf:
>tpchanger "chg-scsi"  # the tape-changer glue script
>tapedev "0"   # the no-rewind tape device to be used
>changerfile "/opt/amanda/etc/amanda/homes/chg-scsi.conf"
>
>chg-scsi.conf:
>number_configs      1
>eject         0
>sleep         60
>cleanmax      10
>changerdev    /dev/rsst4
>#
># Next comes the data for drive 0
>#
>config                0
>drivenum      0
>dev           /dev/rmt/0bn
>startuse      0
>enduse                4
>statfile      /opt/amanda/etc/amanda/homes/tape0-slot
>cleancart     5
>cleanfile     /opt/amanda/etc/amanda/homes/tape0-clean
>agecount        /opt/amanda/etc/amanda/homes/totaltimef
>tapestatus      /opt/amanda/etc/amanda/homes/tape0-status
>

>I think I understand the contents of this file but I don't know
> what to put for the changerdev file. Up till now I've been using
> /dev/rmt/0 for backing up to a single tape so how do I find what
> this value should be for my changer.(/dev/rsst4 does not exist)

Because some changer robots are at the same bus address as the
drive, but at a higher Logical Unit Number (lun in shorthand) there
is a fair possibility that the changerdev may not exist if the
kernel does not "scan all luns" at boot time.  I don't know how
solaris does that, but you have to turn this flag on and rebuild a
linux kernel to make it effective.  It its detected, it should be
listed as being found in your present /var/log/dmesg (or whatever
solaris calls it) file.  Use that device as the changerdev.  In
linux, you'll need the sg driver (for generic scsi) in addition to
the scsi cards driver. In linux, the dmesg files revelent lines
are:
----------------

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.3G: PCI Ultra: IO 0xD000-0xD00F, IRQ 0xB
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20020805, bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. bufs 4,
s/g segs 16
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 1,  type 8

>Also when I've got the changer working how do the tape numbers
> work? If a night's backup tape starts on homes02 and spreads 2
> tapes will amanda understand it's spread over homes02 and
> homes03? If so how does this affect restores?

Provided amanda has been given permission to use more tapes in the
value runtapes is set to, the rest is only a problem if a single
DLE is larger than a tape.  Amrestore, once it knows what you want,
will give you a list of the tapes it needs, in the order that it
needs them.

Please understand that a tapes name is just an arbitrary string to
amanda, and that there is no binding whatsoever between a tape
named wednesday, and that day of the week.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M