Amanda-Users

strange dump message

2003-02-05 09:52:11
Subject: strange dump message
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 05 Feb 2003 09:01:10 -0500
All,
On the last few runs, I've seen some strangeness with one DLE that I
can't figure out.  I'm using the canned 'comp-root' dumptype:

define dumptype comp-root {
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    options compress-fast
    priority low
}

The DLE is the root filesystem (/dev/sda1) on a Debian 3.0 box.  AMANDA
has been trying to do both level-0 and level-1 dumps of this filesystem
since 1/25 when the last full backup was successful.  Both client and
server are running 2.4.3.  Below is the failure message from this
morning's run.

/-- dhcp01     sda1 lev 1 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [dhcp01:sda1 level 1]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/sbin/restore -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
|   DUMP: Date of this level 1 dump: Wed Feb  5 04:06:47 2003
|   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: Sat Jan 25 04:00:08 2003
|   DUMP: Dumping /dev/sda1 (/) to standard output
|   DUMP: Added inode 7 to exclude list (resize inode)
|   DUMP: Label: none
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
|   DUMP: estimated 131 tape blocks.
|   DUMP: Volume 1 started with block 1 at: Wed Feb  5 04:06:47 2003
|   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
? /dev/sda1: EXT2 directory corrupted while converting directory #41021
?
?   DUMP: error reading command pipe: Connection reset by peer
?   DUMP: error reading command pipe: Connection reset by peer
??error [/sbin/dump returned 3]? dumper: strange [missing size line from
sendbackup]
? dumper: strange [missing end line from sendbackup]
\--------

I tried looking for an explanation for the "EXT2 directory corrupted"
dump message, but all I could find was basically "we don't know what it
is, just fsck it and move on".  That isn't good enough for me.  ;)
Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be causing grief to the server's
normal operation, but it is preventing me from getting a backup.

Has anyone else run across this problem?  How did you solve it?

Thanks,
Eric