Amanda-Users

disk diskname offline on hostname errors

2002-12-24 01:09:26
Subject: disk diskname offline on hostname errors
From: Scott Lambert <scott AT inch DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 00:35:07 -0500
If anyone else is getting errors such as these:
  host1 /var lev 0 FAILED [disk /var offline on host1?]
  host1 /usr lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr offline on host1?]
  host1 /home lev 0 FAILED [disk /home offline on host1?]
  host1 / lev 0 FAILED [disk / offline on host1?]
  host2 /home lev 0 FAILED [disk /home offline on host2?]
  host2 /staff lev 0 FAILED [disk /staff offline on host2?]
  host2 /var lev 0 FAILED [disk /var offline on host2?]
  host2 /usr/local/tars lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr/local/tars offline on host2?]
  host2 /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr/local offline on host2?]
  host2 /usr lev 0 FAILED [disk /usr offline on host2?]
  host2 / lev 0 FAILED [disk / offline on host2?]

Check the permissions on your /etc/fstab file.  Most of the errors
similar to these I have found in the last year's archives have been dump
on FreeBSD.

These are probably hosts that have been upgraded over the years.
Apparantly, fstab was group owned by wheel, it should now be group
owned by operator.  These were the only two hosts of my sixteen hosts
(configured so far) that had this problem.

I have seen several questions asked about this but no solutions posted.

I kept checking the permissions on the disk device nodes and the amanda
binarieslike everyone suggested in the archives.  I never found anyone
referring to fstab.

I couldn't figure it out until I found the logs on the hosts in question
in /tmp/amanda.  Silly me, I was looking for them in /var/log.

Unfortunately, I figured it out 20 minutes after tonight's run had
already started.  I will know tomorrow night if this was the last
problem required to correct this error.  It should be.

--
Scott Lambert           KC5MLE           System Administrator

Attention Customers:
  Refer-A-Friend and receive one month of service for free!
  For further details, please visit: http://inch.com/refer-a-friend/
  or, call the Internet Channel billing department at (212) 243-5200.