Amanda-Users

Re: Permissions with Amanda-client

2002-12-19 12:23:58
Subject: Re: Permissions with Amanda-client
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: o.darchuk AT wucb.lviv DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:35:05 +0000

Oleksandr Darchuk wrote:

Hi

what's the permissions for /usr/local/libexec/runtar on the client?
usually this is setuid root.

This is from my client:
-rwsr-x---    1 root     archiver   114708 Dec 13 16:15 runtar
You are right about setuid, but as I understand, group archiver can
execute this file. What probles?

hmm ok looks good, and the amanda user is group archiver I presume..

Yes. I have builded amanda with option --with-user archiver -with-group archiver

What do the debug files in /tmp/amanda on the client say?

ERROR [can not execute /usr/local/libexec/runtar: Permission denied]
OK /bin/gtar executable
ERROR [can not read/write /etc/amandates: Permission denied]
ERROR [can not read/write /usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists/.: No such file or directory]
OK /bin/gzip executable
OK /dev/null read/writable

Nothing new as I see :( May be I've done something wrong, but what?

/etc/amdates and /usr/local/var/amanda/gnutar-lists/ must exist and be writable by the archiver user (in your case).

This is one thing that always gripes me about installing amanda, it's a bit of a <expletive> to actually configure, you've got to run through all the debug files etc to find out what's wrong.

Also you'll need the /usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude-gtar file as well....

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.