ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] VE 7.1.1.1 backup "freezing" a VM & question about "megablocks"

2015-03-06 11:29:21
Subject: [ADSM-L] VE 7.1.1.1 backup "freezing" a VM & question about "megablocks"
From: "Schaub, Steve" <Steve_Schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 16:28:19 +0000
First, many thanks to Wanda & others who have been so helpful in answering my
previous VE questions!

We had a situation yesterday where 2 VE backups were causing the VM's to go
unresponsive.  No response to ping, unable to RDP, etc.  As soon as the backup
finished (or was killed in one case), the servers picked back up where they
left off.  They never rebooted, but you can actually see in the Windows event
logs a gap where no activity happens.  Has anyone seen this behavior before?
VE is at 7.1.1.1, the Hosts are ESXi 5.0 U2, vCenter is 5.5, windows 2008R2.

Secondly, while reading the docs, I ran across the idea of performing periodic
full backups in VE due to fragmentation of "megablocks"?  Is this needed?  If
so, how do you manage it (how frequently, do you try to scatter the fulls
across every day, how do these interact with daily incrementals, etc)?  If it
matters, all our backups land on a VTL.

Thanks,

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer II, Backup/Recovery
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee
423-535-6574 (desk)
423-785-7347 (cell)

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm