ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM rant

2015-01-29 18:09:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM rant
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:07:18 +0100
> Op 29 jan. 2015, om 22:39 heeft Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT
> EDU> het volgende geschreven:
>
> TSM between v6.1 and the end of v6.2 was really rough, mostly related to
> DB2. By v6.3 it got a lot more stable. I'm glad we upgraded from v5 early,
> though, since we really benefit from DB2's improved indexing and table
> compression - between two TSM instances we have close to 2 billion file
> versions tracked by TSM. That would have overwhelmed any v5 server, but we
> get by with relatively modestly-sized hardware.

v5 was stable as a rock, but was going nowhere. All of the new features since
6.1 are possible thanks to DB2. And I vividly recall the days of TSM v4 where
the day would start with yet another patch of the server and hoping that that
version would run for more than 24 hours. And yes… I’m still waiting for
somebody to explain why you need 64 GB of RAM for a medium sized server without
deduce or replication.

--

 Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post