ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] basic DR questions

2015-01-27 18:27:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] basic DR questions
From: Andrew Ferris <AFerris AT MRL.UBC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 15:25:10 -0800
Thanks for the reply Rick.

Pointing the new TSM server at the old db and log files didn't work so Skylar
was correct. Got messages saying that they belonged to another TSM server. So I
will pull back my one DB tape and double check that the server can talk to our
3584/TS3500 and IBM drives.

Andrew

>>> Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT BILOHOLDINGS DOT COM> 1/27/2015 11:32 AM >>>
Andrew,
Been there, done that.
Here's how I handled it:

-Get the server operational. Like others have said it is advantageous to have
several files from the TSM instance directory (volhist, devconfig, and
optionally dsmserv.opt). On 5.x it is possible to recover without them, but the
situation gets a bit more complicated.
- Assure the system has access to the tape library, (real or virtual), and
update the devconfig file to reflect any changes needed.
- Install the TSM server software and perform a minimal configuration. This can
be done via the management console wizards.
- Place/replace the volhist, devconfig, and dsmserv files in the instance
directory.
- Use the "dsmserv restore db" command to restore the latest data base copy.
(If the library is physical tape you may have to manually load the tapes as
requested.)
- Bring the TSM Server online and inspect for proper operation.
-Unless you determine it is needed I would forego the volume auditing, the time
it takes per volume to complete is extensive. Be critically selective here.

If you perform a point-in-time database restore (versus a roll forward) I
strongly recommend that once the server is up you review the original volhist
file and resolve any potential issues, such as volumes created/deleted in
between the time of the database backup used for the restore and the time the
server crashed.

Rick Adamson
Jacksonville,Fl.