ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3 WIndows no log space how to restart server

2010-04-09 14:53:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3 WIndows no log space how to restart server
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:53:01 -0500
Ooooooooh.  Sneaky!
(sneaky is good!)

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Matthew Glanville
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 10:55 AM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1.3 WIndows no log space how to restart
server

Everyone!

There is a way with Windows TSM 6.x servers when activlogsize is full to
bring the server online and do a full backup!

Change the advanced properites of the activelog folder to 'compress
files
and folders' and compress it.

After several minutes that will compress enough of those logs to give
you
enough space to start your TSM server to then get a full backup in!
You can then cancel the compression, or just let it run to compress
everything, though you may want to decompress again once there are just
few archive logs.

I wonder if considering leaving activelog directory compressed all the
time would work..... I'll have to do some performance tests to figure
that
out.
Matthew Glanville
Eastman Kodak

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/08/2010
03:26:37 PM:

> "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>

> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

> 04/08/2010 03:27 PM

> Re: TSM 6.1.3 WIndows no log space how to restart server
>
> Sent by:
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
> To prevent it happening again:
>
> -put the workaround in your dsmserv.opt:
>   ALLOWREORGTABLE NO
>
> -On Windows, the physical size of the log can grow significantly
larger
> than what you specify with the ACTIVELOGSIZE parm.
> I've learned to keep a dummy 2G file on the drive with the activelog.
> That way if the log goes nuts and eats up all the drive space, I can
get
> the server restarted just by removing the file, without having to grow
> the LUN.  (Although I've had no such problem since re-implementing
> ALLOWREORGTABLE NO).

Of