ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue

2009-03-30 12:09:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:08:55 -0400
-----Andy Huebner wrote: -----

>We have a three drives that generate these messages and we are unable
>to use the drives because the path will not stay on-line.  We have
>not been able to find a solution to this problem.
>
>03/30/2009 04:30:41  ANR8963E Unable to find path to match the serial
>number defined for drive L1R3DR1 in library IBM3494A . (SESSION:
>139365)
>03/30/2009 04:30:41  ANR8873E The path from source TSMSERVER1 to
>destination L1R3DR1 (/dev/rmt13) is taken offline. SESSION: 139365)
>
>These are 3590-E drives; the other 21 do not have this problem.

We have a 3494 attached to a mainframe Linux system. We sometimes
get similar messages after a reboot. Our system is configured in
such a way that the relationship between physical devices and
special files (such as /dev/IBMtape0) is not always stable
accross reboots. When this happens we delete the paths and drives
involved and then redefine them. The TSM database contains
information about the serial numbers TSM expects to see in
Deleting the paths and drives removes this information for the
problem drives. Redefining the drives and paths recreates the
information using the serial numbers found when queries are
sent by way of the special files in the new path definitions.