ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue

2009-03-30 11:50:58
Subject: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue
From: "Huebner,Andy,FORT WORTH,IT" <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:50:14 -0500
We have a three drives that generate these messages and we are unable to use
the drives because the path will not stay on-line.  We have not been able to
find a solution to this problem.

03/30/2009 04:30:41  ANR8963E Unable to find path to match the serial number
                      defined for drive L1R3DR1 in library IBM3494A . (SESSION:
                      139365)
03/30/2009 04:30:41  ANR8873E The path from source TSMSERVER1 to destination
                      L1R3DR1 (/dev/rmt13) is taken offline. (SESSION: 139365)

These are 3590-E drives; the other 21 do not have this problem.

The 24 drives are in one 3494 library, the library is shared by 2 TSM servers,
1 TSM server is the library manager.  There are also 8 AS/400 LPARs that use
the library.  There have not been any problems reported by the AS/400.
The problem started a few months ago with no known changes.
The AIX error logs do not show any problems, the fiber switch also does not
show any errors.  IBM has checked the drives and they do not show any errors.
These drives are on different HBA's and different FC switches, both of which
have working drives.
AIX has been restarted, due to other reasons, and that did not fix the problem.
 The drives have been reset and power cycled.
We are running AIX 5.3 & TSM 5.4.2.0.

What have we missed, what could be looked at next?  Does ANR8963E have a hidden
meaning?

Andy Huebner

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized
representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using, copying
or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.
Thank you.