ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SV: NAS 'Archive'

2009-02-04 14:10:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SV: NAS 'Archive'
From: "Huebschman, George J." <GJHuebschman AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 14:09:40 -0500
In my unqualified opinion...
It seems like there are two priorities here:
 - You don't need the data any longer so you want to get it off of NAS.
 - Legal thinks the data is so important it needs to be kept/maintained
forever, whatever that is.

If you fire-and-forget the data to any kind of media, it is going to become
unreadable in some amount of time, due either to degradation of the media or
technological obsolescence.  It seems like DVD-R only has a long lifespan of
perhaps 100 years when stored and handled in optimal conditions.  Under poorer
conditions, it can drop down to 10 or 15 years...okay, that is still a long
time, but it is not forever.

If legal says that the data is going to be important for the life of the
company, then it seems like you are obligated to maintain the data in an active
sense; periodically moving it to fresh media and newer technology.  True, it is
a pain, but if the folks that know say the data is valuable, then it has to
stay readable.

The Emperor's clothes have to be visible.

All you can do is point out the costs of the wardrobe.