ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM

2008-05-05 14:28:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:27:49 -0400
So Sklyar, you are requesting to create an archive that's tracked in
TSM, able to be specified at any level (e.g. filespace, directory,
file), AND to make that within the server (instead of it being required
to create essentially a full backup of the files being archived).

Do I have it now? ;)

Although you didn't ask for free advice, I can't help myself, as this
falls onto one of my hot buttons.  ;)

I believe that this falls into the category of "using backup software as
archive software," which I strongly discourage, almost regardless of
which software package we're talking about.  The biggest use of archives
e-discovery requests. An e-discovery request says, "give me all the
files/emails that have the phrase ABC in them, or that were created by
FRED SMITH."  You cannot meet such requests with backup software, as the
first question will be "what server/filespace were those files on?"  The
e-discovery request doesn't know and you don't know.  (An actual
archiving product would know.)

Unless you're required to keep them by regulation, actually having
backups that are years old is a big liability when you get an
e-discovery request, as the FRCP guidelines specify that if you have it,
you have to give it up.  And if you have really old backups, getting the
data for an e-discovery request can be brutal, incredibly
time-consuming, and costly.

So, unless your backup software can meet these requirements, you're
doing yourself more harm than good making archives.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies

Of