ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM

2008-05-05 16:56:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 13:54:22 -0700
Curtis Preston wrote:
So Sklyar, you are requesting to create an archive that's tracked in
TSM, able to be specified at any level (e.g. filespace, directory,
file), AND to make that within the server (instead of it being required
to create essentially a full backup of the files being archived).

I should also explain why we'd like to generate these server-side rather than on the client. One of our lab's projects could be split into millions of files, with tens of thousands of files per sub-directory. The rationale for doing it this way tends to be a combination of tradition and third-party software. We would tar it up, except our labs tend to make very full use of the disk space they buy.

I guess another feature request on the client-side would be the ability to store a stream from standard input as some file. Probably a wild idea, but it would be cool.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354