ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM

2008-05-05 17:27:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fantasy TSM
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:26:42 -0700
Curtis Preston wrote:
Well, that would be the OTHER reason for archives. ;)  When you archive
those files in TSM, does it allow you to put a "box" around them that
says something like "Source files for project ABC/2008"?

Kind of. When we do an archive of those million-odd files, we'll put the
RT ticket number in the description field. We also have a wiki document
that lists all archives with node, directory, RT ticket number, and
expiration date. It's not perfect, but we only have to do it once every
few months.

The other thing that has really helped us is using the event trigger for
the beginning of retention in the archive copy group, rather than
absolute retention. Some of the bigger runs may take days or even weeks
on our older servers. The data are pretty much useless if some of the
files are expired before the others, so we take the archive and then use
"dsmc set event" to start the retention for the files en masse.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354