ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Where can I find the downloadable TSM 5.5 documentation?

2008-01-16 10:55:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Where can I find the downloadable TSM 5.5 documentation?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:37:07 -0500
On Jan 16, 2008, at 9:58 AM, Kauffman, Tom wrote:

Richard --

To Roger's point, I have yet to figure out how to highlight, annotate,
and/or add post-it type notes to a pdf. I usually end up printing
subsets and scribbling all over them. If I can grab the text and do a
copy/paste, I'll go that route.

Tom -

There are productive environments, and there are counter-productive
environments.  It sounds like you are using Windows, which falls into
the latter category, in failing to provide essential tools to make
your professional life easier.

I would urge you to press for a Macintosh, running OS 10.5 (Leopard),
where its provided Preview application provides what you need.  If
there's such a Mac anywhere in your environment, borrow time on it to
experience what PDF viewing can actually be like: you'll be stunned.
In addition to bookmarking and highlighting sections of a PDF, you
can also perform mark-up and sophisticated operations with graphics.
Have a look at the two Web pages at
 http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/02/
road_to_mac_os_x_leopard_an_extensive_look_at_preview_3_0.html&page=1

This is what a productive environment looks like.  I've been using
Preview for years, and can rapidly go through PDFed manuals to find
all I need.  I never bother with hardcopy manuals.  Better yet, on
the Mac you can create PDFs from all applications, as PDF is the
fundamental document architecture used by OS X.

Many businesses and educational environments are standardizing on
Macs because the platform is so much better, and where your time is
not wasted fighting perpetual viruses and worms.  Also, if you need
to run Windows, you can do that on the Mac hardware, as an alternate
boot or in parallel.  (And, reviewers have reported that a Mac can
run Windows faster than a PC can.)

I use both Windows and Macintosh OS X.  I find Windows to be a
numbingly backward, masochistic exercise that no one should have to
endure.  See if you can get onto the more productive, 21st century
platform.

    Richard Sims   at Boston University