ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] separation of copypool tapes

2007-07-12 14:05:05
Subject: [ADSM-L] separation of copypool tapes
From: "Haberstroh, Debbie (IT)" <HABERDE AT VOUGHTAIRCRAFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:02:08 -0500
We have a large database, 170Gb and are proposing to our customer that it be
separated into multiple servers.  Unfortunately when the system was designed,
more than half of the nodes were directed to the same tapepool and copypool.
The tapepool is collocated by node, the copypool is not.  Before migration, I
would like to setup new disk,tape and copy pools and split the nodes so they
can be easily moved to the new servers since multiple servers cannot own the
same tape (the library will be shared).  It is easy enough to change the
diskpool and write new data to the new tape/copypools, but I have a couple
questions about the tapepool and copypool moves of the old data.

Is there an easy way to move the tapepool tapes to a new tapepool or do I need
to use the move nodedata commands.  I can't rename them since not all of the
nodes currently in a pool will be on the same server.  I also don't see an
update volume command that would allow me to change the pool name.

 Second, once I have the data on the new tapepool tapes, can I simply run a
backup tapepool to the new copypool or do I need to do a move nodedata
specifying the old copypool to new copypool.  If I do a backup of the new
tapepool, what happens to the data currently on the existing copypool, does it
disappear or do I need to delete it.  Thanks.

Debbie Haberstroh
Server Administration
Northrop Grumman Information Technology
Commercial, State & Local (CSL)